Take Time to Think Outside of the Box
As a recruiter, it can be very difficult to deliver information to candidates because most of them do not read through the job description. I’m sure many recruiters can relate. When I started, I would call candidates and ask, “Did you get a chance to read the job description?” They responded “No” almost every time. I quickly learned to never assume the applicant read over everything. I began to think there was a simpler way to communicate the job expectations to candidates than over the phone. In result, I created my own email templates.
Instead of sending a generic email to candidates asking to schedule a time to talk, I decided to tell them in the email what they really want to hear to make sure they don’t have any lingering questions or concerns. This is a great tool I like to call “email marketing.” Email marketing is a useful skill all recruiters should possess—you’ll still need to call applicants, but its useful to send beforehand all the information they need to get their minds flowing about the experiences and skills they can contribute to the position.
I tailor each of my messages by each position the candidates apply to; I gather all specific details from the managers to make sure I pinpoint their specific preferences, including
- Shifts that need to be covered
- Major requirements and expectations for the position
- Necessary skills for the position
- Schedule availability
- Hourly wage
- Call to action
Thank you for applying to a role with Company X!
We are eager to speak with you and are emailing to see when you are available to talk further about the position. We can share information about us and our exciting career track and would love to learn more about your career goals!
Below are further details about the opportunity. If you are still interested, please let me know and we can schedule a time to talk.
- Shifts available: 6 AM – 2:30 PM, 7 AM – 3:30 PM, 8 AM – 4:30 PM, 12 PM – 8:30 PM
- Very active position. Must be able to stand on your feet for a period in different weather conditions; customer service savvy with great communication skills
- Looking for reliable, hardworking, and loyal future employees who want to work with Company X long-term
- Must be able to work FULL TIME Monday through Friday
- $9.50 hourly, plus tips (discussed in detail with manager)
- Call to Action – Application: [url]
Since using this method, my communication with candidates has altered for the better, because the message is short, direct, and gets straight to the point. This helps me find that candidate who truly is interested in the position without having that awkward phone call. This means I don’t waste the candidate’s time or my time. In our jobs, sometimes we get stuck doing things a certain way. Taking the time to come up with innovative solutions can save us a lot of time and effort down the road. So, don’t hesitate to step back and think about what you can be doing to make your work day more efficient.