BLOG

The Value of IT Staffing Firms

Over the past year, I have heard numerous rumors that the staffing industry would be replaced by the likes of Linkedin, Google, and a variety of other sites. According to the rumors, these alternatives would eventually eliminate the need for an IT staffing firm. I would be lying if I didn’t say that I was a little worried!

However, if you think about it, these rumors have no basis in reality–nothing can be further than the truth! In today’s complex IT market, companies are looking to hire the best candidates for the cheapest amount in order to compete for positions. In addition, as I have mentioned in prior postings, these requirements have become much more challenging due to the added technical skills that our customers are searching for. Is it harder to fill positions than it was a year ago? You bet it is! And this is where a great staffing firm comes in. This complicated process requires a skill that cannot be provided online. Does technology help? Of course it does, but a great staffing firm understands that the best candidates are often not those that have posted his or her resume on the various job boards. A great staffing company will train its recruitment staff to source on the telephone—and then source some more. Referral after referral after referral is the name of the game. That is, unless you want to come in second place… I know I don’t!

Last night, a colleague of mine informed me that a study was performed that reported that only 5% of the available workforce posts their resumes on sites such as Monster, CareerBuilder, Dice etc. If this is true, that is a staggering figure. A great staffing company makes it their business to train their recruiters to go after the other 95% of the candidates that have not decided to post their resumes on these various sites.

As a hiring manager, we realize how important your time is: why waste that precious time on a good staffing firm when you can just as easily engage a great one. The best thing you can do for your company is to do a little due diligence and interview your interviewers prior to your next job search.